Seek me and Live
Amos 1:1 “The words of Amos, who was among the sheep breeders of Tekoa, which he saw concerning Israel in the days of Uzziah king of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash, king of Israel, two years before the earthquake.”
The name Amos means burden or burden bearer.
Amos used an unusual word to describe his occupation. Instead of calling himself a “shepherd,” the literal ancient Hebrew used here called Amos a “sheep raiser.”
Amos was not born in a Prophet’s family, and he had no formal theological or prophetic training.
God gave this simple man a big job to do.
Amos was a prophet to the 10 northern tribes.
What kind of person does God use?
We sometimes think God uses the brightest and the best. He must choose the most holy and talented to deliver His message or to advance His kingdom.
Amos is teaching us that this isn’t true.
But… why did God choose this simple man?
- He had a deep-rooted faith;
- He walked with God;
- He accepted his lot in life;
- He was wise in the ways of God;
- He was close enough to God to know what the Lord said.
- He was being prepared by God;
- He was not fearful in talking to others outside of his class;
- He sought good and not evil.
The Lord is telling us today He will select ordinary people like Amos.
So what is the most important qualification for God’s call?
*Be humble like Amos
Remember the principle:
God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble (1 Peter 5:5).
Jooley Mathew Z
Seek me and Live
Amos 5:4, 6, 14. Here God is telling through Amos, the Prophet , “Seek Me and live”. That means for our soul to live, we should seek God.
The soul that commits sin will die. Ifso, for our soul to live, we should seek God.
How can we seek God?
- The word is God and Jesus is the word. Therefore we should read, meditate and obey the word of God to seek God.
- We should talk to God and listen from Him. That means we should pray to God.
- We should walk with Him and He should live in us.
What other things we have to do for our soul to live?
- We should turn (repent) to live. Ezekiel 18: 32.
- The just shall live by faith. Romans 1: 17.
- If we die with Christ, we shall live with Him. Romans 6: 8.
- If we put the deeds of our body to death , by the Spirit, we will live. Romans 8: 13.
Yes, God has sent His only begotten son Jesus Christ in to this world, because of His love for us to live through Him. 1 John 4: 9.
Our soul is precious. Eventhough we gain the whole world, if we loose our soul, or if the soul dies , there is no profit. Therefore let us seek the Lord, to Live. So that the Lord of Hosts will be with us. Amen. Hallelujah.
Dr. Padmini Selvyn.