Pool of Bethesda by the sheep gate
John 5: 2- 14
- There was a pool called Bethesda, at Jerusalem. Multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed were lying and waiting by the side of this pool. For what? An angel will come down at certain time to this pool, and stir up the water. Whoever step down in to the pool first, when it is stired will be healed from any disease.
Yes, Bethesda means house of grace or house of mercy. This Bethesda is near sheepgate, and Jesus is our sheepgate . The water of our Bethesda is stired up not at a certain time but always by the Holy Spirt, whenever we wait to read and meditate the living water, the word of God. The word of God, the living water will heal our body and soul and deliver us. Psalm 107:20.
- Now a certain man with infirmity was lying down there for 38years. But there was no one to put him in to the pool, when the water is stirred up. Yes, today there are thousands of spiritual blind, lame, and sick people who can not enter into the water. Many are with out peace, and health and are waiting. Let us guide them by our prayers and by our counselling according to the word of God.
- He is waiting for 38 years. Imagine, howmuch his clothes and bed would have been dirty and foul smelling! He cannot walk, work or run. Yes, today there are thousands of people who are stained with sin and lying in the bed, and are unable to walk or work for our Lord.
- Our Lord Jesus is so compassionate to come near him, because he can’t walk and go to Jesus. He asked him, do you want to be made well? Yes, salvation is freely given. He will not compel anyone. Choice is ours. Let us thank our Lord, who came down to us and healed us.
- Jesus told him, rise, take up your bed and walk. Yes, today let us rise up from our stinking bed of sins. Let us rise and walk for our Lord.
- It is a surprise that this man didn’t know the one who healed him. Yes , we too are not knowing the goodness, what God is doing daily in our life. Today if we are healthy to walk, eat and breathe with out difficulty means , it is only because of our Lord Jesus. How many are paying money for oxygen to breath in ICU of hospitals? Like this man, we too are not knowing the one who is keeping us in good health. Let us realize and thank God.
- Jesus told him,” you have been made well, sin no more, lest a worst thing come up on you”. Yes, our sin will bring us bondages. So let us be aware not to do sin.
God, who healed this man from infirmity ,should help us too, who are unable to walk for Jesus for 30, 40, 50, 60 ,even 70 years of our life. May God bless each one of us according to the above word of God. Amen. Hallelujah.
Dr. Padmini Selvyn.