My help comes from the Lord
Psalm 121 is a dialogue of confession and assurance, used as a pilgrimage song. The comforting assurance expressed is appropriate for the pilgrimage to Jerusalem and for the pilgrimage of the life of a believer.
This chapter starts with a statement. I lift up my eyes to the hills, then a question- Where does my help comes from?,followed by its answer. My help comes from the Lord. 121:2a.
Who is the Lord?
Lord is the maker of heaven and earth. 121:2( the Supreme Creator or the Allmighty God.)
What the Lord does for us?
- He will not let our foot slip.(where the road is slippery). 121:3.
- The Lord watches over us without sleep nor slumber.(There are god’s who go to sleep /slumber. Those who go to them, need to call/wake them up, every now and then.)121:4.
3.The Lord will be our shade at our right hand. 121:5. To get shade, we need to stand close to Him.
- The sun will not harm us by day.(extreme heat and the enemies whom we can see.) 121:6a.
- The moon will not harm you by night. 121:6b.( extreme cold/ darkness – sudden attack of theives, robbers, snakes, animals..)
- The Lord will keep us from all harm, throughout our life or journey.( from all enemies, from all dangers, from all accidents,…) 121:7.
- The Lord will watch over your coming and going.. forevermore. 121:8. (Not just our ascent to Jerusalem, our descent from Jerusalem, not just our pilgrimage but throughout our earthly pilgrimage or journey.)
The Lord is repeated 5 times.vv 2, 5(2), 7, 8. watch / watches over also repeated 5 times. vv 3, 4, 5, 7, 8.
The Lord watches over all those who look to Him for help.
I am a traveller for the Lord, most of the time travelling alone through dangerous and slippery paths. I am a pilgrim in this world, travelling towards my Jersusalem. Psalm 121 is such a strengthening and comforting one for me in my journey. My Lord watches over me, day and night without sleeping and is keeping me from all harm. I am not alone as He is right there at my right side.
How is your journey? Is it slippery,dangerous, scary..?
Are you facing difficulties, problems,…in your pilgrim journey / life?
Let us continue to look to Him for help.Our help will come from the Lord.