Stephen, the Martyr
Acts 7th chapter
- The word Stephen means, Crown. He was wise with good reputation, with full of Holy Spirit and was appointed to serve the tables.
- This Stephen was full of faith and power, did great wonders and signs among the people. The people of their council were not able to resist the wisdom and the Spirit by which he spoke. Therefore they set up false witness against him. But his face was shining like the face of an angel.
- By the power of the Holy Spirit, he boldly explained their sins and he saw the glory of God, and saw Jesus was standing at the right hand side of God.
- They cast him out of the city and stoned him, while saying,” Lord Jesus, receive my Spirit “
- He knelt down and cried out with loud voice saying, Lord, do not charge them with this sin and he gave up his life.
- Like Jesus, Stephen also when stoning by his enemies forgave them and prayed for his killers, who were stoning him and he gave his spirit in the hands of Jesus Christ. Let us also learn to forgive those who did harm to us and pray for them.
- When Stephen was dying, he saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing( not sitting) at the right hand side of God ( to welcome Stephen). What a lovely death as Martyr Stephen experienced! Yes, as the meaning of his name, he will receive the Crown.
Yes, let us praise God for the witnessing life and witnessing death of Stephen. Amen. Hallelujah.
Dr. Padmini Selvyn.