Standing in the Gap. Ezekiel 22:30.
Ezekiel was among the Jews exiled to Babylon by King Nebuchadnezzar in 597 BC. He recieved his call in July 593 BC, as a prophet, probably at the age of 30, while in Babylon.(Eze.1:1-3) He prophesied for 22 years upto April 571 BC to the Jews in exile at Babylon.
God is upset with the spiritual condition of the people. Inspite of repeated warnings, sin was spreading like Coronavirus. God is going to destroy them because of their sins.
A. SINS OF THE LEADERS OF ISRAEL.(Princes)
- Used power to shed blood/ kill others. Eze.22:6.
- Treated parents without respect. 22:7.
- Oppressed the aliens. 22:7.
- Mistreated the orphans and widows. 22:7.
- Despised(strong dislike) God’s holy things. 22:7.
- Desecrated(show no respect) sabbaths. 22:8.
- They slander(insult)others. 22:9.
- They eat at the mountain shrines ( eating meat offered to idols ) and commit lewd acts.( vulgar/ pornographic) 22:9.
- Dishonor their father’s bed. 22:10.
- Violate women. 22:10.
- Immoral relationships with his neighbors wife. 22:11.
- Sexually violating daughter in law. 22:11.
- Violates sisters or cousins. 22:11.
- Accepting bribe . 22:12.
- Collecting unreasonable interests. 22:12.
- Extorting neighbors. 22:12.
B. SINS OF THE PRIESTS. Eze.22:26.
- Do violence to God’s law. Abusing or destroying God’s law.
- Profane(showing no respect) God’s holy things.
- Do not distinguish between the holy and common.
- They teach that there is no difference between the unclean and the clean.
- Not serious about keeping sabbath.
C. SINS OF THE OFFICIALS. Eze.22:27.
- Interested only in unjust gain.
- They shed blood and kill people.
D. SINS OF THE PROPHETS. Eze.22:28.
- Whitewash the sins of people with false visions and lying divination.
2.They say “This is what the sovereign Lord says” when the Lord has not spoken.
E. SINS OF THE PEOPLE. Eze.22:29.
- People practice extortion.(obtaining money, property or services through force or threats.)
- People oppress the poor and the needy.( treat them cruelly).
- People commit robbery.
- People mistreat the alien/ foreigner, denying them justice.
F. GOD’S SEARCH FOR A PERSON TO STAND IN THE GAP. Eze.22:30.
God searched for a man among them.
a. Who would build up the wall.
b. Who would stand in the gap on behalf of the land .
If there is one person to do that, God wanted to stop the destruction. Result of the search was negative. None to stand in the gap.
God’s final verdict. Eze.22:31.
a. I will pour out my wrath on them.
b. I will consume them with my fiery anger.
What is the spiritual condition of the world today?
What is the spiritual condition of Christians today? Can we see the above sins in our midst?
What is the spiritual condition of the Church today?What are the leaders doing today?
Are we willing to stand in the gap to save the world from utter destruction?