Ecclesiastes 12th Chapter… Speaks about Old Age, Death & Judgement!
The purpose is to show the utter fallacy of things that earthly sins, pleasure and pursuit are the chief end in life and the source of happiness; and to show the final conclusion of the whole of life is to fear God and to keep His commandments…
King Solomon the Author says, If life is not centered on God, is purposeless and meaningless. Without Him, nothing else can satisfy. With Him, all of life and other good gifts can be gratefully received.
Here’s is a gentle reminder for the present day youth to remember the God of Creation (12:1) as they continue to run the race with endurance as recorded in Hebrews 12:1&2.
“Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them.”
In the same chapter, 18 fold description of old age & death is disclosed in vivid detail…
- 📍 When the keepers of the house (the arms of the body) shall tremble (3)
- 📍 The house shall tremble (the human body) (V:3)
- 📍 The strong men (the legs V:3) shall bow themselves – be unable to hold the weight of the body.
- 📍 The grinders (the teeth V:3) cease because they are few
- 📍 Those that look out of the windows (V:3 the eyes) be darkened – become blind.
- 📍 The doors (the mouth and ears) shall be shut – unable to speak and hear (V:4)
- 📍 The sound of the grinding (the gums) is low – low sound of the gums instead of teeth, in mastication (4).
- 📍 He shall rise up (wake up from sleep) at the sound of the bird, and when music is played (V:4).
- 📍 They shall be afraid of that which is high – fear to meet God (V:5)
- 📍 Fears shall be in the way – being fearful of the journey through the valley of the shadow of death (V:5).
- 📍 The almond tree shall flourish – the grey hair flourish and then fall out like almonds from the tree (V:5).
- 📍 The grasshopper shall be a burden, that is the least weight a burden to carry (V:5).
- 📍 The desire shall fail – the appetite and passion will subside, it being the time to die and for mourners to go about the streets (V:5).
- 📍 The silver cord (the spinal cord) be loosed (V:6)
- 📍 The golden bowl (the head or the skull) be broken (V:6).
- 📍 The pitcher (the heart) be broken at the fountain or the wheel (the heart as a pump) be broken at the cistern – the heart ceasing to pump the blood through the body to keep it alive (V:6).
- 📍 Then shall the dust (the body) return to the earth (it shall die) as it was (V:7, Gen 3:19)
- 📍 The Spirit shall return to God who gave it (V:7, Gen 2:7, Heb 12:9)
Man’s long home will be His *eternal place in heaven or hell, or on earth with the other redeemed, after God moves His Head Quarters from heaven to earth (Rev 21-22).
Conclusion of the whole matter:
Now, “let’s hear the conclusion of their whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.”
For God shall bring every work into judgement, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil…”
Shalom & God bless! 🙏😊
Dr. Stafford Cripps
CGO 70 Bangalore