Qualities of a righteous or Godly person
- He does what is just and right. Eze. 18:5.
- He does not eat at the mountain shrines. Eze.18:6.
Eating meat sacrificed to idols on the high places.
Please see Eze.6:3 and Hosea.4:13.
- He does not look to the idols of the house of Israel. Eze.18:6.
Please see Eze.23:27; 33:25.
- He does not defile his neighbours wife. Eze.18:6. That is adultery. Please see Exodus.20:14.
- He does not oppress anyone. Eze.18:7. By fraud or force, particularly the poor.
- He returns what he took in pledge for a loan. Eze.18:7. Not embezzling it or keeping it beyond the time fixed by the law of God.
Please see Exodus.22:26,27; Deuteronomy.24:12,13; Amos.2:8.
- He does not commit robbery. Eze.18:7.
- He gives food to the hungry. Eze.18:7.
Please see Deut.15:5-11; Mathew.25:31-46.
- He provides clothing for the naked. Eze.18:7. See Mt.25:31-46.
- He does not lend at usury or take excessive interest. Eze.18:8. Making unjust gain from others by extortion.
Please see Ezekiel.22:12; Psalm.15:6; Exodus.22:25; Leviticus.25:35-37; Deut.23:19.
- He withholds his hand from doing wrong. Eze.18:8.
Please see Jeremiah. 22:3.
- He judges fairly between man and man. Eze.18:8. Please see Zechariah.8:16.
- He follows God’s decrees. Eze.18:9.
- He faithfully keeps God’s laws. Eze.18:9.
Do we have the above qualities of a righteous person in our life?
Let us study God’s word and obey the Lord in all areas to lead a righteous life.
Ex 18:4 The soul who sins is the one who will die
In Ezekiel God makes it clear that He judges and rewards people only for their own sin or their own faithfulness, not for that of their parents.
This seems to contradict earlier Biblical statement Ex 20:5.I, the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sins of the father’s to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me.
But God says in Ex18:34 You are surely not going to use this saying in Israel anymore. But the soul who sins will die.
The wickedness doesnot to be generational. Gods grace and forgiveness which has the power to break the cycle, are available to anyone who seeks Him. God treats people with extraordinary fairness.
But our God came to suffer and die for sins He did not commit _ all the sins of humankind.